Reducing your home energy costs isn’t as complicated as you might think, huge savings can be accomplished from simple changes you can easily start making yourself, there’s really no reason not to start today!
Start reducing your energy cost today to see a huge impact on your yearly spending and do your part towards reducing your impact on the planet.
- Heating & Cooling.
The #1 culprit for excess spending around the house has always been heating & cooling.
- Air conditioning and heating systems are expensive to run and care should always be taken not to waste them.
- Ceiling fans can be used as a cheap alternative to AC, circulating air will keep your home fresh and cool without the high costs air conditioning brings.
- Convection powered heating fans can be used with traditional hot stoves and open fires to circulate warm air effectively around the home.
- Thick ‘blackout’ curtains can be used to insulate your houses windows, trap heat during the winter & cool air during the summer.
- Programmable thermostats can be used to keep the temperature in your home regulated reducing costs over time.
- Long live the LED, incandescent is dead.
If you are still using regular incandescent lighting in 2019 then this is for you.
- LED lighting uses on average 90% less energy than traditional incandescent lighting.
- LED lighting experiences less malfunctions, requires less replacement, and has a longer average lifespan per product.
- LED lighting lasts on average 10x longer than it’s incandescent brother.
- Insulate Everything!
Households can lose up to a third of their total heat through badly insulated window frames, roofs, and doors.
- Talk to your local contractor to find out more about how you can start weather proofing and insulating your house.
- Simple changes usually include insulating window edges with caulk.
- Double pane glass is an amazing insulator and will go away towards reducing leaks.
- Doors & windows can be lined with draft protectors to create a tight seal and prevent leaks.
- Conservative Kitchen Cooking is Key.
That sure is a mouthful to say! Take a bite out of your energy spending by changing the way you cook and use your kitchen.
- Convection over conventional. Studies show that convection ovens use up to 20% less energy when compared to conventional ovens that do not circulate their air.
- Reheat in the microwave, although we don’t recommend using it for every meal your microwave uses 80% less energy than your conventional oven and is perfect for reheating food, soups, and leftovers.
- Pressure cookers and crock pots are your friends. Covered pressurised cooking reduces the energy required and tastes delicious! There are thousands of easy recipes available online.
- Take advantage of new low-flow toilet technology.
Advances in toilet technology have led to some fantastic opportunities to save on energy spending.
- Low-flow showerheads & rain style showers use significantly less water compared to bathing and traditional showers.
- Dual-flush toilets allow the user to select a heavy or light flush depending on the ‘package’.
- Low-flow toilets use up to 50% less water than traditional toilets making them the biggest opportunity to save on water in the household. They work by using pressurized flushing systems or powerful vacuum chambers.
Alright everyone, that wraps up our top tips for energy saving around the home in 2019. We hope you continue to have a fantastic frugal year. And don’t forget to check out some of our amazing Amazon deals while you are here at VIPON !
Peace & Love
The Vipon Team